On this page you will find links to my series of videos and articles on the rules of chess. In these videos I take you from knowing nothing about how to play chess to having a basic understanding that will enable you to play a game of chess.
Knowing how to move the pieces is only the beginning. Once you have learned the “laws” of chess … what’s legal and what’s not legal … there are still many “rules” that govern what you ought to do with your pieces in a well-played game. You can spend an enjoyable lifetime learning the “real rules.” Chess is a difficult game … and that’s what makes it so much fun.
So get started! Pick out a topic that interests you, click on the link, and enjoy beginning your trip down the road to chess mastery.
- How to Play Chess – Which Board Should I Buy? – Which Way Does It Go? (In this video I show you how to orient the chess board and what kind of chess board you should buy.)
- Chess Pieces – What do they look like? What set should I buy?
- How to Use Chess Clocks – Should I Buy a Digital Chess Clock?
- How to Set Up the Chess Board
- How the Chess Pieces Move
- How the Chess Pawn Moves
- Special Chess Moves – Rules of Castling
- Special Chess Rules – The En Passant Pawn Capture Rule
- Special Chess Rules – Pawn Promotion
- How to Play Chess – Rules of Check
- How to Play Chess – Rules of Checkmate
- How to Draw a Chess Game
- Chess Notation Part 1 – How to Read and Record a Game of Chess
- Chess Notation Part 2 – Captures, Castling, and Checkmate
- Chess Notation Part 3 – Playing Over a Game
- The Official Rules of Chess
There you have it … over an hour of video covering all the rules and the basics of how to play a game of chess.